• Arab Bank, is the first private banking financial institution in the Arab World.
• Founded in 1930 with paid-up capital of 15,000 Palestinian pounds and 7 shareholders, Arab Bank has a total equity of USD 8.1 billion.
• Arab Bank Group has a geographically diversified international network of more than 500 branches spanning 5 continents.
• Arab Bank is the largest Jordanian financial institution in terms of assets, equity, and banking market share.
• Arab Bank is the largest listed company on Amman stock Exchange (ASE).
• Arab Bank was the first Arab financial institution in Switzerland with the establishment of Arab Bank (Switzerland) Ltd in 1962.
• Arab Bank locations in key financial markets and centers such as London, New York, Dubai, Singapore, Zurich, Paris, Frankfurt, Sydney and Bahrain.
Since its establishment in Jerusalem on May 21st, 1930 as Arab Bank Limited, the Arab Bank has continued to grow and improve. It began operations on July 14th of the same year. On January 31st, 1990, the name changed to Arab Bank plc in accordance with Section 318 of the Jordanian Companies Act # 1 of 1989.
Arab Bank was the first public shareholding company listed in the Amman Stock Exchange in 1978.
The Bank is constantly improving its disclosure levels and introducing higher levels of transparency through its financial statements, enabling both shareholders and customers to appreciate its ever-growing earning power, its low risk level, and its strong financial position.
In 1931, Arab Bank founder Abdul Hameed Shoman donated a 100 Palestinian Pounds to building a University in Jerusalem. Arab Bank has since been an active community partner, and a patron of charitable work. The Bank's leadership places strong emphasis on Best Practice approach towards issues related to economic and social aspects of its business, with relation to the communities of its operation areas, and stakeholders.
Arab Bank believes in the interdependence of business and community, it is also aware of the need to emphasize its stakeholders' needs world wide.
In August 2006, and during the royal visit by His Majesty King Abdullah II, Arab Bank donated 2 Million Jordanian Dinar (USD 2.8 Million), to support governmental poverty alleviation efforts in the Southern parts of the Kingdom.
The Bank has also been active in sponsoring educational and medical institutions, in addition to providing scholarships to students both in Jordan and the Palestinian territories. Universities, schools, hospitals, youth and cultural centers, orphanages, and various NGO's are among hundreds of beneficiaries in local communities with whom the Bank has partnered.
Arab Bank's reaction towards the human tragedy caused by Hurricane Katrina in the United States was rapid and determined, contributing with a symbolic amount of USD 100,000 to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
More recently, in 2009 Arab Bank launched ‘Together’ which is a large-scale corporate and social responsibility program that caters to both Arab Bank’s customers and its employees